Disclaimer: if you’re in denial that summer is over and fall is on its way, you might want to stop reading now. Just look at the black n’ blue pie I made for Labor Day! So summery!
If you’re as excited as I am for fall, you can keep reading…
GUYS, IT’S SEPTEMBER!
Sorry for yelling at you, but I really am that excited about Fall. June was fun, July was busy and stressful, and August was miserably hot, so I’m totally ready for fall. There’s just one problem — I live in Houston. And fall doesn’t start here until October (at best).
So I’m going to fake it. While some people are holding onto summer and making every summery dish they can, I’m already thinking about the two fruits (and a vegetable) that scream fall to me: apples, pumpkins, and pears.
Unfortunately pears aren’t quite in season yet (at least here) and Teddy gets pumpkin-ed out really fast. But we’re both apple fanatics, so I’ve been looking up all the apple recipes. Here are
5 6 7 that have made it to my to-bake list:
1. These apple and cheddar scones from the Smitten Kitchen are definitely happening this weekend. Who could resist scones that are “October on a parchment-lined baking sheet?” Not me!
2. Kristin’s boiled cider is addictive — it’s great in an apple pie, it’s great on ice cream, it’s great on a spoon… Trust me, you need to make this.
3. Lately I’ve become the weirdo person who only has whole grains and coconut sugar in their pantry (who am I?!?), so these whole wheat apple muffins are right up my alley.
5. Emma’s baked cheesy apple sandwiches sound kooky and delicious. I think it’d be perfect with a cup of soup!
6. This cinnamon-sugar apple skillet cake sounds like the perfect cake for having friends over. Or the perfect thanks-for-having-us-over cake if you’re the guest. Both are good ideas.
7. I’ve always been intimidated by homemade doughnuts, but these apple cider doughnuts remind me of the maple doughnuts that people go crazy for in Virginia in February.
8. I couldn’t resist adding these pumpkin cinnamon rolls because guys — they’re pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Who can resist that? I’ll just have to sneak them past Teddy.
Do you have any end-of-summer or beginning of fall baking plans? I’d love to hear!